Job Term: Temporary for 18 weeks, beginning spring 2018
Salary: $14.00 / hour, based on a 36.25 hour work week
Job Ad Closing Date: Jan 30, 2018
|Position Focus||Location||Contact Person|
|Nutrient Management||Guelph/Woodstock||Christine Brownfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Field Crop Agronomy/Corn Production||Guelph||Ben Rosseremail@example.com|
|Field Crop Agronomy/Soil Management||Kemptville||Sebastian Belliardfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Field Crop Pathology||Ridgetown||Albert Tenutaemail@example.com|
|Soil Management||Ridgetown||Adam Hayesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Field Crop Entomology||Ridgetown||Tracey Bauteemail@example.com|
Are you serious about making your mark, getting hands-on work experience and learning more about careers in the Ontario Public Service? This position will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in field crop production, research or the agricultural service sector. This position will provide the opportunity to learn about diseases, insects, and agronomy of the major field crops grown in the province.
- Assist with summer applied research and demonstration projects conducted by OMAFRA Field Crops Staff.
- Projects focus on production practices, e.g. soil health, weed control, pest management, fertility and others.
- Field work could include field scouting, identification and monitoring of insects, weeds and crop diseases, soil and plant sampling, and other data collection
- Assist staff to gather existing literature and conduct new literature reviews, and develop written reports and presentation materials on key initiatives.
- Assist in the coordination of events and programs (e.g. workshops, demonstrations, field days etc.), and set-up of field sites for events
- Office work might include providing customer service assistance, research, data collection and database management, assisting with the production of technical information such as newsletters, updating web pages, blogs, scanning images, etc.
What we are looking for:
- You apply your interpersonal skills to work within a multi-disciplinary team and participate in meetings
- You apply your observational skills and attention to detail to conduct research, field monitoring and data entry
- You apply your written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, factsheets, and articles).
- You are familiar with computer based software applications including MS Word and database management software to perform data entry, conduct analysis, prepare reports, track and compile information
- You can work in an outdoor environment with some light physical activity involved, including light lifting
- You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines
- You are familiar with farming and crop/livestock production
- You are willing to travel to rural locations (frequently not accessible by public transportation)
Requirements for hiring:
- Must have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver’s Licence
- Must be a resident of Ontario and eligible to work in Ontario
- Must be between 16-24 years of age (up to 29 with disability) on the first day of employment.
- Must be currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary school, or have completed all academic requirements for graduation within 6 months of first day of employment.
- For returning students: you may only work in the same position for two consecutive years
How to Apply:
- You must demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Provide your cover letter and resume electronically in one file in any of the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt and .rtf).
- For each position you are interested in, submit a separate resume by email to the respective contact person listed above under Available Positions/Locations. For example, if you are interested in both the Soil Management and Field Crop Entomology positions, you must send resumes to both Adam Hayes and Tracey Baute.
- If you have any questions about applying please contact Meghan.firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have a disability and require accommodation to apply please contact Meghan Moran 519-546-1725 or email@example.com