Job Ad: Student – Grazing Livestock Assistant (Beef and Sheep)
Organization: Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
Division/Branch: Economic Development Division / Agriculture Development Branch
Position Title: Grazing Livestock Assistant (Beef and Sheep)
Job Term: One Summer Student position for 14 weeks
Location: 322 Kent Street West, Lindsay, ON, K9V 4T7
Salary: (Level 2: $14.85/ hour), based on a 36.25-hour work week
Are you looking to develop transferable skills, support your career goals and learn more about the Ontario Public Service? This position at the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMARFA) in Lindsay, Ontario will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in livestock production, pasture management, research in the agricultural sector and knowledge transfer within the province.
Duties will include:
- Assisting with applied research and demonstration projects conducted by Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) Beef Cattle Specialist and Forage & Grazing Specialist.
- Projects will focus on calibration and application of a rising plate meter as a management tool for Ontario pastures.
- Field work will include measuring pasture with a rising plate meter, harvesting pasture yield samples, and collecting livestock data.
- Laboratory work will include data processing and analysis of results.
- Other tasks will include field demonstration events and preparation of written reports, assisting with gathering existing information, conducting literature reviews and developing written reports and presentation materials on key initiatives.
- Training will be provided on research methods, knowledge transfer, and working in the public sector.
Who are we looking for?
- You are interested in grazing management and livestock production.
- You can work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- You can organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines.
- You have written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, articles, blog posts).
- You have verbal communication skills to share information in a variety of settings (e.g. meetings, presentations).
- You are familiar with Microsoft Office computer applications to perform data entry, conduct analysis, prepare reports, and track and compile information.
- You are willing to work outdoors and in an office.
- You are willing to travel to rural locations and must have a minimum Ontario G2 drivers license.
How to apply:
- You must clearly demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- You must be a resident of Ontario on first day of employment and must be eligible to work in Canada.
- You must be between 15-24 years of age (up to 29 with disability) on the first day of employment.
- You must be a student (currently enrolled, returning in Sept. 2020), on a known academic break OR graduated within 6 months of first day of employment.
Applicants must provide their cover letter and resume:
- Electronically to email@example.com in any of the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt, or .rtf); OR
- on paper/hard copy to supervisor(s):
James Byrne or Christine O’Reilly
Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
322 Kent Street West, Room 105, Lindsay, ON, K9V 4T7
If you have a disability and require accommodation to apply, please contact James Byrne (705-648-1498) or Christine O’Reilly (705-341-4899).
Closing Date: February 28th, 2020 11:59 pm
We thank all those who apply, however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.