The Great Lakes and Maritimes Pest Monitoring Network (GLMPMN) is up and running for the 2023 season. We are monitoring for black cutworm (BCW), corn earworm (CEW), European corn borer (ECB), fall armyworm (FAW), true armyworm (TAW) and western bean cutworm (WBC) across the region and are providing an interactive real-time map and trap data dashboard that summarizes the trap results by pest. Anyone is welcome to set up a trap and enter the trap data into the network. Any crops being monitored for the pests listed above can be included on the network. If your crop is not listed in trap site info page, click on “Other” to fill in which crop you are monitoring.
GLMPMN Site Links:
For Browser Users, bookmark and use this link: Great Lakes and Maritimes Pest Monitoring Network Site. Follow the Step by Step Instructions provided under the “Instructions” Tab.
For Phone/Tablet Users, bookmark this on your phone for easier weekly trap data entry: Mobile Browser GLMPMN Trap Site and Weekly Trap Count Entry Site. Click on the blue button that has a note pad and pencil. Then select the Trap_Information feature in the Edit box that pops up, followed by clicking on the map where your trap site is set up.
Important Network Files:
How to Add a Trap Site to the Network:
- If on Browser, Go to the “Moth Counts’ Tab using this link provided for browser users above. If on Phone, use the direct Trap Site and Weekly Trap Count Entry Map link above.
- Browser Users: Click on the “Add Trap Information” Button at the top left side of the page, just under the “Find Address or Place” bar and next to the funnel button. It looks like a paper with a pencil at the corner. Click on the Trap Information dot that appears in the pop up window, then zoom in on the map to your current trap site location. Click on the blue button that has a note pad and pencil. Then select the Trap_Information feature in the Edit box that pops up, followed by clicking on the map where your trap site is set up.
- Mobile Users: Click on the left blue button that has a note pad and pencil. Pull the “Edit” window that opens up. select the Trap_Information feature in the Edit box that pops up, followed by clicking on the map where your trap site is.
- A form will open up in a pop up. Fill out the information required for each trap site. Then click “Close”.
How to Enter Weekly Trap Counts
- Each week, find your trap site “dot” on the map under the “Moth Counts” Tab.
- Click on your trap site “dot” then click on the “Weekly Trap Counts” link that shows up in the pop up window.
- This opens up a survey in your web browser. Make sure the trap site name and pest are correct for the site you want to enter data in. Add the date the trap was checked and the number of moths counted.
- Click submit.
- Continue this weekly for the entire trapping season.
The Great Lakes and Maritimes Pest Monitoring Network is a collaboration of state and provincial reps from Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, New York, Maine, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador. We are grateful for all of the crop consultants, scouts, extension personnel, farmers and researchers across this region that monitor these traps and send in their weekly trap counts. A big thank you to Jennifer Birchmore, Senior Geographic Information Specialist at OMAFRA for developing and maintaining the GLMPMN.