Job Term: Full time temporary for 14 weeks, with possibility of a 4 week extension.
Start Date: May 2, 2022 (some flexibility)
Application Due Date: March 22, 2022 by midnight.
Salary: $15.85/ hour based on 36.25 hour work week
Office Location: Stratford ON
Contact: Meghan Moran firstname.lastname@example.org 519-546-1725
Get your hands dirty learning about Ontario agriculture and agricultural research. Spend your summer outdoors collecting data in farm fields and contributing to research projects aimed at improving field crop production practices and protecting Ontario crops. This position will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in field crop production, research or the agricultural service sector.
The student will contribute to multiple on-farm research projects with a focus on insect monitoring and management, plant disease monitoring, and more. Day to day tasks include travelling to farm fields, trapping and counting insects, collecting plant and soil samples, data entry and assisting with website updates. The student should have an interest in plant and insect biology and be willing to handle insect, plant and soil samples. The student must be comfortable driving long distances (vehicle provided during work hours, not for commuting), primarily on rural roads. The student must be able to carry out instructions independently and precisely, and place value on producing high quality results. The student will interact with various OMAFRA staff, agricultural researchers, farmers and agronomists. They may have opportunities to work with other OMAFRA specialists in other crops or disciplines. Most work will be outdoors, while some days will be spent working from home.
What we are looking for:
- You apply your observational skills and attention to detail to conduct research, field monitoring and data entry
- You keep accurate and detailed notes on daily activities
- You apply your written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, blogs, and articles).
- You are familiar with computer-based software applications including MS Word and Excel to perform data entry, conduct analyses, prepare reports, track and compile information
- You have some experience with video creation and video editing
- You are willing to drive daily (vehicle provided) to rural locations using GPS coordinates and mapping software or with paper maps
- You can work in an outdoor environment with some light physical activity involved, including light lifting
- You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines
- You are familiar with farming and crop production
Requirements for hiring:
- Must have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver’s Licence
- Must be a resident of Ontario and eligible to work in Ontario
- Must be at least 16 years of age on the first day of employment
- Must be currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary school, or have completed all academic requirements for graduation within 6 months of first day of employment.
- Must be able to work from the Stratford office; vehicle and supplies are located there
How to Apply:
- submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com
- Provide your cover letter and resume electronically in one file as a PDF or Word document
- You must demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- If you have any questions about applying, or have a disability and require accommodation please contact Meghan Moran firstname.lastname@example.org 519-546-1725