“Field Crop News” is an archive of information dedicated to the production of over 8.5 million acres of field crops in Ontario (see Table 1) and a forum for which producers, researchers and industry personnel can share information and ideas. The crop technology team with the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA), faculty at the University of Guelph and Ontario field crop producers continually work together to find ways to improve field crop production. The key learning and outcomes from these collaborations are captured at “Field Crop News”.
Table 1. Acreage and percent acreage of Ontario grown field crops in 2010.
|Field Crop||Acreage||Percent of Total|
|TOTAL FIELD CROP ACREAGE (2010): 8,516,000|
University of Guelph Faculty that collaborate with the OMAFRA field crop team:
- Cereal Breeding: Dr. Duane Falk, Dr. Lily Tamburic-Ilinic
- Corn: Dr. Elizabeth Lee
- Cropping Systems: Dr. Bill Deen, Dr. Dave Hooker
- Edible Bean Agronomy: Chris Gillard
- Forages & Pastures: Dr. Stephen Bowley
- Insect Management: Dr. Rebecca Hallet
- Oilseeds Physiology and Agronomy: Dr. Hugh Earl
- Soil Management and Fertility: Dr. John Lauzon
- Soybean Breeding: Dr. Istvan Rajcan
- Weed Management: Dr. Peter Sikkema, Dr. Clarence Swanton and Dr. François Tardif