Organization: Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA)
Division/Branch: Economic Development Division / Agriculture Development Branch
Position Title: Corn Agronomy Research and Extension Assistant
Job Term: Temporary for up to 14 weeks, beginning spring 2022
Salary: $15.85 / hour, based on a 36.25 hour work week
Office Location: Guelph, Ontario
Contact: Ben Rosser, firstname.lastname@example.org
Get your hands dirty learning about Ontario agriculture and agricultural research. Spend your summer outdoors collecting data in farm fields and contributing to research projects aimed at improving field crop production practices and protecting Ontario crops. This position will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in field crop production, research or the agricultural service sector.
The student will contribute to on-farm research projects focused on strip tillage, fertility management and equipment. Day to day tasks include travelling to farm fields, operating farm equipment for research plots, collecting soil samples, data entry and assisting with Ontario corn agronomy extension activities (article writing, video making, farm visits). The student should have an interest in agronomy, applied on-farm research and confidence working safely around farm equipment. The student must be able to carry out instructions independently and precisely, and place value on producing high quality results. The student will help with set-up of agronomy education events and will have the opportunity to learn about other crops and OMAFRA roles at these events. The student will interact with various OMAFRA staff, agricultural researchers, farmers and agronomists. They may have opportunities to work with other OMAFRA specialists in other crops or disciplines.
What we are looking for:
- You apply your observational skills and attention to detail to conduct research, field monitoring and data entry
- You keep accurate and detailed notes on daily activities
- You apply your written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, blogs, and articles).
- You are familiar with computer based software applications including MS Word and Excel to perform data entry, conduct analysis, prepare reports, track and compile information
- You are willing to drive daily (vehicle provided) to rural locations using GPS coordinates and mapping software or with paper maps
- You can work in an outdoor environment with some light physical activity involved, including light lifting
- You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines
- You are familiar with farming and crop/livestock production
Requirements for hiring:
- Must have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver’s Licence
- Must be a resident of Ontario and eligible to work in Ontario
- Must be at least 16 years of age on the first day of employment
- Must be currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary school, or have completed all academic requirements for graduation within 6 months of first day of employment.
How to Apply:
- submit a separate cover letter and resume by email to the contact person provided
- Provide your cover letter and resume electronically in one file in any of the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt and .rtf).
- You must demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- If you have any questions about applying, or have a disability and require accommodation please contact Ben Rosser email@example.com
Closing Date: March 30, 2022