Number of Positions: Two (2)
Location: 322 Kent Street West, Lindsay, ON
Contract Length: 18 weeks, starting May 1, 2022 (start date negotiable)
Salary: $16.35/hour (Level 2), based on a 36.25-hour work week
Job Description: Are you looking to develop transferable skills, support your career goals and learn more about the Ontario Public Service? These positions in Lindsay, Ontario will provide excellent opportunities for those interested in a career in livestock production, pasture management, research in the agricultural sector, and knowledge transfer within the province.
Duties will include:
- Assisting with applied research and demonstration projects conducted by Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) Beef Cattle Specialist and Forage & Grazing Specialist.
- Projects will focus on pasture utilization, cattle performance on grass, and grass growth and production in Ontario pastures.
- Field work will include measuring pasture with a rising plate meter, harvesting pasture yield samples, and collecting livestock and weather data.
- Laboratory work will include sample processing and data analysis.
- Other tasks will include field demonstration events and preparation of written reports, assisting with gathering existing information, conducting literature reviews, and developing written reports and presentation materials on key initiatives.
- Training will be provided on research methods, knowledge transfer, and working in the public sector.
- An interest in grazing management and livestock production.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines.
- Written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, articles, blog posts).
- Verbal communication skills to share information in a variety of settings (e.g. meetings, presentations).
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office computer applications to perform data entry, conduct analysis, prepare reports, and track and compile information.
- Willing to work outdoors and in an office.
- Willing to travel to rural locations and must have a minimum Ontario G2 driver’s license.
Eligibility Criteria: The successful candidates must
- be resident of Ontario on first day of employment
- be legally entitled to work in Canada
- be at least 15 years of age on first day of employment
- be a student (currently enrolled, returning in Sept. 2023, on a known academic break OR graduated within 6 months of first day of employment)
- have a minimum Ontario G2 driver’s license
Effective October 1, 2021, the OPS COVID-19 Safe Workplace Directive will require all Ontario Public Service employees to provide proof they are fully vaccinated, meaning they are fully vaccinated as defined by the Ministry of Health (refer to: COVID-19 Fully Vaccinated Status in Ontario), including 14 calendar days have passed since receiving their final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Employees who do not provide proof of full vaccination will be deemed ‘not vaccinated` under the Directive and will be required to attend a vaccine education program and undergo regular rapid antigen testing. Employees who are not vaccinated under the policy with a valid medical exemption will not be required to attend a vaccine education program.
How to Apply: Applicants must provide their cover letter and resume electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com in any of the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt, or .rtf)
If you have a disability and require accommodation to apply, please contact James Byrne (705-648-1498) or Christine O’Reilly (705-341-4899).
Application Deadline: March 17, 2023
We thank all those who apply, however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.